Deserving hatred and contempt: a despicable crime
More example sentences
- The attacks are a despicable crime that will horrify anyone with any shred of decency or humanity.
- A despicable attack of blatant hatred has failed completely to tear us apart.
- This is truly disgusting stuff - morally despicable and professionally disreputable.
contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous, beyond the pale;
odious, execrable, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, disgusting, horrible, horrid, horrifying, obnoxious, nauseating, offensive, distasteful, beneath/below contempt;
vile, base, low, mean, abject, shameful, degrading, ignominious, cheap, shabby, miserable, wretched, sorry, scurvy;
infamous, villainous, ignoble, disreputable, discreditable, unworthy, unscrupulous, unprincipled, unsavoury
mid 16th century: from late Latin despicabilis, from despicari 'look down on'.
- More example sentences
- Instead he was treated despicably and I hope whoever is nominated to take over will not have to go through that same sort of public humiliation.
- Their bleating about their efforts regarding problem gambling are absolutely, completely and utterly, despicably hypocritical.
- But out of sheer determination and a refusal to get dragged down by such despicably anti-social behaviour, they enjoyed the good times and battled through the bad times.