- 1The action or process of identifying the presence of something concealed: the early detection of fetal abnormalitiesMore example sentences
- There should be an effective treatment or intervention for patients identified through early detection.
- Other property owners, tenants or landlords have failed to provide any smoke or fire detection systems.
- Prostate cancer presents major challenges for early detection through screening.
- 1.1The work of a detective in investigating a crime: modern technology is essential to crime detectionMore example sentences
- He said: ‘Operation Delivery is kicking in and there's evidence that we are down in terms of crime while detections are up.’
- The incident came close on the heels of a series of robbery detections made by four police stations of South Mumbai early last morning.
- He said the 10,433 drink driving detections by Gardaí last year was paltry compared to 200,000 speeding offences detected.
late 15th century (in the sense 'revelation of what is concealed'): from late Latin detectio(n-), from Latin detegere 'uncover' (see detect).