- His detention in custody beyond his criminal sentences has gone on long enough.
- With a history of military service and labour detention camps, these provisions are not surprising.
- The adjudicator surmises that if the appellant were in detention the police would not be searching for him.
- Her advice ends up being to score herself and Zeke both an hour's detention after school.
- The entirety of last week had been spent with her in hour long after school detentions.
- At the end of every week at least one of us always had to stay after school for detention.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'withholding of what is claimed or due'): from late Latin detentio(n-), from Latin detinere 'hold back' (see detain).
Words that rhyme with detentionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, contravention, convention, declension, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de¦ten|tion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.