verb[with object] • rare
- Cleanse thoroughly: she wanted to deterge herself completely of itMore example sentences
- We then watch him clean his sheets as a metaphor of his resolve to deterge the world of evil.
- After being dried-up the polymer is not deterged by any well-known lacquer solvents.
- The plasma-enhanced chemical cleaning is employed to deterge the Al pads of IC products.
early 17th century: from French déterger or Latin detergere 'wipe away'.
More definitions of detergeDefinition of deterge in:
- The US English dictionary