- 1Remove (a monarch) from power: in January 1831 the Poles dethroned the RomanovsMore example sentences
- When the emperor was dethroned, Diem replaced him.
- Ivan Assen II, son of tsar Assen I, ascended to the throne in 1218 after dethroning the mediocre ruler Boril with the assistance of Russian and Kumanian troops.
- In 525 B., Cambyses, the son of Cyrus the Great, led a Persian invasion force that dethroned the last pharaoh of the 26th Dynasty.
- 1.1Remove from a position of authority or dominance: he dethroned the defending title-holderMore example sentences
- Kerala dethroned defending champion Manipur to win its maiden title.
- That's no way to dethrone the defending champs.
- And despite some ragged games and contract holdouts at the beginning of the season, it will take some mighty tough play to dethrone the defending champions.
- More example sentences
- What then are our options in an era of late capitalism, which has exacerbated the idealistic-pragmatic divide and effectively witnessed the dethronement of all socialistic experiments?
- On Wednesday, August 12, the celebrations will come to an end with the dethronement of King Puck at 5.30 pm.
- So one positive side of my dethronement is the fact that I can now mingle with the masses, thanks to my newfound freedom.