noun[mass noun] Zoology
- (In gastropod molluscs) the evolutionary reversion of a group to a primitive linear body plan. Compare with torsion.More example sentences
- The latter group includes radically modified animals, the Opisthobranchia and Pulmonata, which undergo detorsion and essentially re-evolve bilateral symmetry.
- Some species undergo reverse torsion (‘detorsion’), but evidence of having passed through a twisted phase can be seen in the anatomy of these forms.
- The bodies of most members of this group show evidence of detorsion.
More definitions of detorsionDefinition of detorsion in:
- The US English dictionary