verb (detoxifies, detoxifying, detoxified)[with object]
- 1Remove toxic substances from: the process uses chemical reagents to detoxify the oilMore example sentences
- The body has developed various mechanisms to detoxify the toxic substances.
- This discovery bears tremendous significance for the bioremediation industry, as it is the first bacterium isolated that can detoxify vinyl chloride outside of laboratory conditions.
- As for why the borer is able to withstand caffeine's toxic effects, there are some yeasts that detoxify chemicals, creating an edible food source for insects.
- 1.1Abstain or help to abstain from drink and drugs until the bloodstream is free of toxins, in order to overcome alcoholism or drug addiction: [no object]: if they are not able to detoxify in their normal environment then they will never come off drugs [with object]: he was twice detoxified from heroinMore example sentences
- Approximately ten to 15 patients a month chose to detoxify from heroin addiction exclusively by means of acupuncture.
- Alcohol is frequently used by GHB abusers in an attempt to detoxify themselves from GHB; in the case of BD, alcohol may actually exacerbate and extend BD's toxic effects.
- Most ambulatory patients with alcohol dependence can be detoxified quickly and safely without the use of psychoactive drugs.
- 1.2 [no object] Become free of harmful substances: you can help your body detoxify by cutting down on coffeeMore example sentences
- But it's important to remember that our bodies are constantly detoxifying, not just when we say so.
- An electrically powered vacuum massage is used to help the body detoxify, release excess fluid, and increase circulation and metabolic rate.
- Wheatgrass is believed to be a wonderful cleanser and rejuvenator, helping the body detoxify.
- More example sentences
- There are many types of free radicals, and all have specific detoxifiers.
- In his book Staying Healthy with Nutrition, Dr. Haas writes, ‘water is possibly the most important detoxifier.’
- Cabbage is a great detoxifier, stimulates the immune system and its disinfectant action is particularly effective in the respiratory tract.
More definitions of detoxifyDefinition of detoxify in:
- The US English dictionary