verb[no object] (detract from)
- 1Diminish the worth or value of (a quality or achievement): these quibbles in no way detract from her achievementMore example sentences
belittle, take away from, diminish, reduce, lessen, minimize, lower, make light of, play down, discount, soft-pedal, brush aside, gloss over, trivialize, decry, depreciate, denigrate, devalue, devaluate, deprecate• informal pooh-pooh• archaic hold cheap
- As a result, the case is being made that money spent to minimise risk does not detract from shareholder value, but protects it.
- Choose a design that fits in with the style and scale of your home, otherwise you could detract from its value and end up living in a fortress.
- There are not many places where you can get into conversation about how to detract from the value of the local housing.
- 1.1 [with object] Take away (a specified amount) from the worth or value of a quality or achievement: it is detracting nothing from his ability to say that he owed the championship to a superior carMore example sentences
- The fact Colin never won Olympic gold does not detract one bit from his achievements.
- We have had to display a lot more than our own hand-made goods, which does detract a bit from our crafting origins, but we are determined to make a go of it.
- Far from having the character of final coda, the added six months would, if he got them, be anticlimactic, detracting a bit from the beauty of his life as a whole.
- More example sentences
- When I buy Frank magazine and pass it around, I am doing evil for I am sharing in the sin of detraction and calumny.
- These small detractions don't stop Raimi's film from being a superlative movie, a rare sequel that betters its predecessor, a rare blockbuster that has an emotional heart.
- Although the executive committee said that all these entries had good points, they felt that each had enough detractions to deny them the award.
- More example sentences
- Obloquy means roughly ‘travesty,’ ‘abusively detractive language,’ or ‘a gross distortion and cheapening of a widely-held doctrine or faith.’
- This Miniature Third Reich Battle Flag is made of lithographed metal and is in un-issued condition with some minor storage wear on each example that is not detractive.
- I'm not 100% sure that the graphics were needed, but it certainly isn't detractive.
late Middle English: from Latin detract- 'drawn away', from the verb detrahere, from de- 'away from' + trahere 'draw'.