An animal which feeds on dead organic material, especially plant detritus.
- The members of Echinoidea are suspension feeders, herbivores, detritivores, and predators.
- These earliest insect species were probably detritivores, scavenging for organic matter in the thin soils of the time, although some species may have been herbivores feeding on live plants.
- Some graze, some browse, some feed on plankton, some are scavengers or detritivores, some are active carnivores.
- Example sentences
- While most species of Daphnia, including D. pulex, are herbivorous or detritivorous (feeding on phytoplankton), a few are carnivorous and prey on other water fleas.
- They included both carnivorous and detritivorous types.
- However, even if the glossopterids did not possess toxic secondary metabolites that discouraged detritivores, their dominance still may have played a role in the abundance of detritivorous oribatid mites.
Definition of detritivore in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.