- The person second in importance to the protagonist in a drama.More example sentences
- The first actor was the protagonist, the second the deuteragonist, and the third the tritagonist.
- It is a wonderfully told tale, with a well drawn main character and an unforgettable deuteragonist.
- She learned at Cambridge that in Greek tragedy there was one protagonist, and one deuteragonist.
mid 19th century: from Greek deuteragōnistēs, from deuteros 'second' + agōnistēs 'actor'.
More definitions of deuteragonistDefinition of deuteragonist in:
- The US English dictionary