Any of a number of wild plants with a very short rootstock, said in folklore to have been bitten off by the devil, in particular:
- ● (also devil’s bit scabious) a blue-flowered plant native to Eurasia and North Africa (Succisa pratensis, family Dipsacaceae). ● North American the blazing star (Chamaelirium luteum, family Liliaceae).
More example sentences
- Interesting flora includes purple devil's bit scabious and lilac field scabious, the yellow daisy-like common fleabane and the tall, cream-flowered meadow sweet.
- Areas with a high density of devil's bit scabious may be the key requirement within the grassland habitat.
- A number of wildflower species, such as devil's bit scabious and poppy, occur and attract large numbers of butterflies and moths.
Definition of devil's bit in:
- The US English dictionary