A large long-tailed ray which has a fleshy horn-like projection on each side of the mouth. It occurs on or near the surface of warm seas and feeds on plankton.
- Family Mobulidae: two genera and several species, including the manta
More example sentences
- I could tell that David was quite taken with the critters, because on the rest of the dive he managed to miss two sea snakes, one devil ray and a monster barramundi cod.
- The fish belong to a family of rays, including manta rays and devil rays, that are known for their frequent and flamboyant jumping, though the habit remains poorly understood by scientists.
- Charging ‘sumo’ size silvertip sharks in pairs; eagle rays; devil rays; leopard sharks; nurse sharks; whitetips - they are everywhere.’
Definition of devil ray in:
- The US English dictionary