1Wicked activity: some devilry was afoot
More example sentences
- But with the sudden arrival of two volatile hobbits, the nearby evils of timber-cutting, industrial devilry, and mass murder became too much for the Ents to stomach.
- What is the point of having a family if there's so much evil and devilry implicit in it all?
- It seemed to look back at her mockingly, and eventually, she realized that she didn't have enough malice to withstand such devilry and took her defeat gracefully.
wickedness, evil, evil-doing, evilness, sin, sinfulness, iniquity, iniquitousness, vileness, foulness, baseness, badness, wrong, wrongdoing, dishonesty, unscrupulousness, roguery, villainy, rascality, delinquency, viciousness, devilishness, fiendishness, heinousness
1.1Reckless mischief: a perverse sense of devilry urged her to lead him on
More example sentences
- The Presto vivace Finale, however, finds our conductor in joyous vein throughout, with a strong sense of devilry bringing added exuberance to those key points where Schubert urges his forces in other directions.
- They may, however, have missed the real story - a tale of some very nasty political devilry.
- Not since ITV's Brideshead Revisited, 20 years ago now, has an English country house been home to so many familiar names, and if Gosford Park life lacks the vicious streak of Evelyn Waugh's work, its playful devilry is a joy.
mischief, naughtiness, badness, bad behaviour, misbehaviour, mischievousness, troublemaking, misconduct, misdemeanour, perversity, disobedience, pranks, impishness, tricks, larks, capers, nonsense, roguery, rascality, devilment, funny business;
1.2Black magic; dealings with the devil.
- Is it to expose them to devilry and witchery at such a young, impressionable age, and all in the name of fun?
- Even the low-comedy scenes, in which Tom Smith's red-nosed Robin dabbles in devilry, emerge as a caustic reflection of Faustus's higher magic and demonstrate the futility of his quest for omnipotence.
- He threw the broad sword and it hit right into the small face of the demon-beast that was using devilry magic.
black magic, sorcery, magic, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, spellworking, incantation, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, the black arts, divination, malediction, voodoo, hoodoo, sympathetic magic, witching, witchery;
North American mojo, orenda;
New Zealand makutu
South African informal muti
Words that rhyme with devilryrevelry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.