A person’s duty: you have done your devoir right well
More example sentences
- For yet another year, indigenous performance arts showed incredibly minimal growth, with creativity seemingly dedicating itself to the devoir of producing perplexity rather than refinement.
- The hedge was laid by a veteran Yorkshireman, and the lord of the manor's bailiff was present to see the devoir properly carried out.
pay one's devoirs
- Pay one’s respects formally: I paid my devoirs to bothMore example sentences
- Hereby allow me to pay our devoirs to you in behalf of all the staff of our company.
- Let not the traveller omit to pay his devoirs to the liquid ‘manna of Montepulciano,’ the monarch of Tuscan, if not of all other wines, as Bacchus and Redi have pronounced it.
- I wish you a good morning, and will pay my devoirs in a day or two to inquire after your health, and hear what has taken place.
Definition of devoir in:
- The US English dictionary