Definition of dewy in English:
adjective (dewier, dewiest)
1Wet with dew.
- Early morning is best, when the woods are cool and the ground is still moist and dewy.
- He sat on the ground, not noticing the dewy grass dampening his clothes, and stared out across the darkness of the valley, which was faintly illuminated by the millions of stars hanging just above his head.
- We often went to the park for picnics, sitting on the cannon in the sun, marvelling at the dewy luminescence of the bleeding heart begonias in the steamy green light of the conservatory.
2(Of a person’s skin) appearing soft and lustrous.
- Water is essential not only for re-hydration but as the basis of good blood, dewy skin and healthy body tissues.
- The music is exactly what we should expect from this U.K. nymph - as predictable as her pixie haircut, dewy skin and familiar husky voice.
- Ethan smiled, enjoying the intimate sensation of the dewy skin he caressed with such compulsion.
2.1Youthful and fresh: the girls have yet to lose their dewy charm
More example sentences
- It just freaks me to see them like that, all dead-eyed and bitter, when just three months ago they were so dewy and enthusiastic, fresh out of medical school.
- But their unselfconsciousness extends beyond total ease with their unadorned bodies to a palpable sense of bliss in just being, taking each day as it came and glorying in their dewy vigour with every fibre of their beings.
- I'm sure I'll never look as dewy when I put all $110 worth of it on my face myself, but a girl can dream of buying youth, can't she?
- dewily adverb
- Example sentences
- Then all melted away dewily in the grey air: all was silent.
- Giant crab claws, great platters of seafood and fish, perfect fresh salads flown in daily, and dewily fresh tropical fruit are cooked and presented exquisitely.
- There is an undercurrent of unbridled sensuality in the dewily sweet ‘Roses,’ which opened the program presented by the Paul Taylor Dance Company on Thursday at City Center.
- Example sentences
- For the old and withered Nonna Rosa, he restores her youthful dewiness, awakening all the passion deadened by her long passionless marriage.
- She is impudently vernal, like Hogarth's more plebian Shrimp-Girl, and even more fluorescent in her dewiness.
- The shrimp in their shells may have too much salt for me sometimes, but their general dewiness and cayenne kick rope me in nonetheless.
Words that rhyme with dewybluey, chewy, chop suey, cooee, Dewey, Drambuie, feng shui, gluey, gooey, hooey, Hughie, Louie, Louis, phooey, rouille, screwy, Wanganui
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.