An Asian wild dog with a sandy coat and a black bushy tail, living in packs. Also called red dog.
- Cuon alpinus, family Canidae
More example sentences
- Highly predaceous canids that invariably hunt in social packs include the African hunting dog, Lycaon pictus, and the dhole, Cuon alpinus.
- The two ambushing pantherine felids appeared to prefer foraging in densely covered settings and the dhole in open spaces.
- The dholes and jaguar were alert though, and already got the jackal who had an unhealthy interest in the horses surrounded.
early 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of dhole in:
- The US English dictionary