noun (plural diabolos)[mass noun]
1A game in which a two-headed top is thrown up and caught with a string stretched between two sticks.
- After the show, children were given the chance to try juggling, plate spinning and diabolo for themselves.
- The routines include religious folk and aboriginal dance, martial arts along with diabolo playing and shuttlecock kicking.
- Mr Collins performed again on Monday, this time demonstrating his juggling and diabolo talents.
1.1 [count noun] The wooden top used in the game of diabolo.
- In Quidam a group of alarmingly young-looking Chinese girls manipulate the diabolos while flinging themselves about.
- They were very clever, only dropped one diabolo, and juggled and did acrobatics with the diabolos in time to the music.
Early 20th century: from Italian, from ecclesiastical Latin diabolus 'devil'; the game was formerly called devil on two sticks.
Definition of diabolo in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.