noun[mass noun] Medicine
- The passage of blood cells through the intact walls of the capillaries, typically accompanying inflammation.More example sentences
- In 1870, Woodward observed a photomicrograph from the stomach of a mare with gastroenteritis demonstrating a white blood cell undergoing diapedesis from a small vein.
- These events contribute to leukocyte diapedesis across the endothelial monolayer and tissue inflammation.
- Based on his studies of a frog's tongue, Waller made important observations on diapedesis of leukocytes and reported that pus originated from ‘the colourless of spherical corpuscles from the capillaries.’
early 17th century: modern Latin, based on Greek dia 'through' + pēdan 'throb or leap'.
More definitions of diapedesisDefinition of diapedesis in:
- The US English dictionary