Definition of diaphoretic in English:
1(Chiefly of a drug) inducing perspiration.
- Yin medicines have a superficial action on the body or cause some type of elimination through their laxative, diaphoretic or diuretic properties.
- It is diaphoretic, febrifuge (gets rid of fevers), emetic (in large doses), and laxative.
- The action is diuretic, refrigerant and diaphoretic, and the juice extracted from the fresh plant is of use in urinary and kidney diseases.
1.1(Of a person) sweating heavily.
- Initial examination showed labile hypertension and epigastric tenderness, but the patient soon became pale, diaphoretic, and dyspneic.
- The driver, taken by ambulance, arrived in the emergency room obtunded, diaphoretic, with his mouth clenched, and with a positive cough reflex.
- A weaning trial with a PEEP of zero lasted about 5 minutes before she became diaphoretic, tachypneic and tachycardic.
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek diaphorētikos, from diaphorein 'sweat out'.
Definition of diaphoretic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.