Definition of diaphragm in English:
1A dome-shaped muscular partition separating the thorax from the abdomen in mammals. It plays a major role in breathing, as its contraction increases the volume of the thorax and so inflates the lungs.
- Contraction of the expiratory muscles displaces the abdomen inward and the diaphragm upward into the thorax during exhalation.
- Metastatic tumor was also found in the thyroid gland, pericardium, myocardium, bilateral lungs, diaphragm, bilateral kidneys, and liver.
- Separating the chest from the abdomen, the diaphragm (pronounced: die-uh-fram) plays a lead role in breathing.
2A thin sheet of material forming a partition.
- In this way the stalk expands radially to form a hemifusion diaphragm.
- The trans layers make contact and produce an axially symmetric hemifusion diaphragm.
- New growth cycles began with the formation of new basal diaphragms and lateral walls of living chambers.
2.1A taut flexible membrane in mechanical or acoustic systems.
- The flexible metal diaphragm provides expansion capability to partially compensate for thermal expansion mismatch between the liquids and the cylinder.
- The diaphragm is a flexible disk made of sheet metal with ridges carved into it.
- A diaphragm extends around the shaft and defines fluidly separate upper and lower chambers within a valve body.
3A thin contraceptive cap fitting over the cervix.
- Find out from this factsheet by the fpa how contraceptive diaphragms and caps work, how effective they are at preventing pregnancy and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Barrier methods of contraception include diaphragms, condoms and cervical caps.
- Following his logic, we would have to say that Catholics who insist on using contraceptives should opt for condoms or diaphragms.
4A device for varying the effective aperture of the lens in a camera or other optical system.
- If you know how the combination of a shutter, a lens, a diaphragm, and a light meter can make a picture.
- From the images above you can clearly see the lenses are identical even down to the aperture diaphragm, which begs the question is the lens in the PhotoPC 3000Z a Carl Zeiss design?
- It is not much unlike a conventional camera in the conception of design, consisting of a lens and a diaphragm that adjust the focus and control the amount of light coming through.
- Example sentences
- They also found he was suffering from a diaphragmatic hernia.
- The relationship between diaphragmatic surface area and a given lung volume may be different during active breathing.
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation results in diaphragmatic atrophy and contractile dysfunction, but its effect on the rate of protein synthesis is not known.
Words that rhyme with diaphragmheliogram • diagram
Definition of diaphragm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan