Definition of diarchy in English:
noun (plural diarchies)[mass noun]
Government by two independent authorities (especially in India 1919–35).
- Nigerian intellectuals, in particular, and African intellectuals, in general, have also debated other alternative forms of democracy similar to diarchy.
- This system of dyarchy was abolished by the Government of India Act, which gave the provincial assemblies full responsibility for government.
- Raymond Barre told the UDF group in parliament in September 1983 that according to de Gaulle there could be no diarchy at the summit of the state; a president faced by a hostile Assembly would either have to dissolve it or himself resign.
- Example sentences
- On the termination of the First World War, another installment of reforms was conferred in 1920, which created a diarchal form of Government placing wider powers in Indian hands, by associating them increasingly with civil administration and putting the " transferred subjects’ under the direct control of responsible Ministers.
- As the women's revolution begins to have its effect upon the fabric of society, transforming it from patriarchy into something that never existed before - into a diarchal situation that is radically new, it will, I believe, become the greatest single potential challenge to Christianity to rid itself of its oppressive tendencies or go out of business.
- Example sentences
- It hardly bears repetition that the civilian component is subordinate to the military in the diarchic scheme.
- Franco's authority was dyarchic with that of the church.
- There are indications that the intelligentsia, the masses, and even sections of officialdom are disillusioned with the dyarchic system in place.
Definition of diarchy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan