noun[mass noun] Geology
- A fine-grained sedimentary rock formed from consolidated diatomaceous earth.More example sentences
- Diatoms have an extensive fossil record going back to the Cretaceous; some rocks are formed almost entirely of fossil diatoms, and are known as diatomite or diatomaceous earth.
- The richest sources of diatom fossils are deposits of their skeletons known as diatomite, or diatomaceous earth.
- By this time, both groups were abundant and diversified globally, so much so that diatomite is a common marine sediment of the Miocene.
More definitions of diatomiteDefinition of diatomite in:
- The US English dictionary