noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- An organic cation containing the group —N2+ bonded to an organic group. Aromatic diazonium compounds are typically intensely coloured and include many synthetic dyes: a diazonium salt diazonium chlorideMore example sentences
- Phenol can be produced from aniline by reacting aniline with a mixture of sodium nitrite and hydrochloric acid to give benzene diazonium chloride, that when heated gently, gives off nitrogen to leave phenol.
- The manufacture of PY74 would most likely occur through diazotization of 2-amino - 5-nitroanisole to the corresponding diazonium salt and condensation of the diazonium salt with o-acetoacetanisidide.
- These nitrites then react to form a diazonium salt which in turn reacts with a chromogen to produce the final color.
late 19th century: coined in German from diazo- (indicating the presence of two nitrogen atoms) + the suffix -onium (from ammonium).
More definitions of diazoniumDefinition of diazonium in:
- The US English dictionary