A pointed hand tool for making holes in the ground for seeds or young plants.
- For small bulbs, make holes with a dibble and plant bulbs 3 to 5 inches apart.
- Make a dibble hole to drop the young plants into, and use a hose to gently wash soil into the hole.
- A dibble was an instrument for poking holes in the ground for planting.
1.1Sow (a seed or plant) with a dibble.
- The seeds were dibbled at the rate of two seeds per hole at an espacement of 30 cm by 45 cm during the second week of September.
- Okay, he's a man of the soil, but his dibbling is astonishing.
- I know one lady who dibbles pieces of last year's growth in a border on the east side of her house where they root with no special care.
Late Middle English: apparently related to dib (also used in this sense in dialect).
Words that rhyme with dibbledribble, fribble, Gribble, kibble, nibble, quibble, scribble
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dib¦ble
Definition of dibble in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.