1Exhibiting or characterized by dichotomy: a dichotomous view of the world
More example sentences
- My thinking on this curious dichotomous view of the Church (and the even more curious affinity it has with leftist dissent) can be found here.
- The media promotes this dichotomous view of the world.
- Grappling with ACTION's history helps make the case for why a dichotomous view of Civil Rights and Black Power obscures more than it illuminates.
2 Botany (Of branching) in which the axis is divided into two branches.
- Most members of this lineage also have the combination of pseudomonopodially-branching main axes or rhizomes, with dichotomous branch tips.
- Subsequent branch orders may be dichotomous or pseudomonopodial.
- They produced several types of foliage all characterized by pinnate leaves with open dichotomous venation.
- Example sentences
- Because of the skewed distributions of variables with more than two response options, and the dichotomous nature of some items, all responses were coded dichotomously and summed across the 9 items.
- Items in the condom use self-efficacy scale were recoded dichotomously to determine the extent to which groups interviewed differed in their endorsement of each item.
- It is clear from the Proterozoic fossil record that meristem differentiation, including apical meristems associated with dichotomously branched thalli, must have evolved in the terminal Neoproterozoic or earlier.
Words that rhyme with dichotomoushippopotamus, trichotomous
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: di¦chot¦om|ous
Definition of dichotomous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.