Definition of dichroic in English:
(Of a crystal) showing different colours when viewed from different directions, or (more generally) having different absorption coefficients for light polarized in different directions.
- One common laboratory technique - the use of circularly polarized light in circular dichroic spectroscopy - optically records changes in protein secondary structure to study the dynamics within the biological system.
- Visual pigments, the molecules in photoreceptors that initiate the process of vision, are inherently dichroic, differentially absorbing light according to its axis of polarization.
- The angle between the diglucosamine ring plane and the membrane plane was determined by dichroic measurements using polarized IR light with oriented multilayers of the endotoxins.
- Example sentences
- This is important because according to the theory of site-directed dichroism at least three dichroic ratios have to be known to determine the main structural parameters of the helix.
- The analyses of circular dichroism and fluorescence spectroscopy suggest that the monomer is well folded, and that it has certain characteristic features when compared to its tetrameric counterpart.
- This result is consistent with a recent investigation of K3 in the presence of large unilamellar vesicles of anionic phospholipids by circular dichroism spectroscopy in the solution state.
Definition of dichroic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan