Definition of dicotyledon in English:
A flowering plant with an embryo that bears two cotyledons (seed leaves). Dicotyledons constitute the larger of the two great divisions of flowering plants, and typically have broad stalked leaves with net-like veins (e.g. daisies, hawthorns, oaks). Compare with monocotyledon.
- However, it should be kept in mind that young leaves of dicotyledons are more heterogenous as to cell age, than sections of a monocotyledon leaf.
- The broad differences between halophytic monocotyledons and dicotyledons have been attributed to differences in water content and hence vacuolar volume.
- Besides this constitutive system, iron reductases have been described in dicotyledons and non-grass monocotyledons that reduce iron prior to uptake.
- Example sentences
- In the leaf axils of most dicotyledonous trees well-developed buds are present.
- In many dicotyledonous leaves, parenchyma or sclerenchyma cells of the vascular bundle sheath extend to the epidermis on both leaf sides, forming the so-called bundle sheath extensions.
- This type of leaf formation can be applied to monocotyledonous and dicotyledonous plants.
Words that rhyme with dicotyledoncedarn, cotyledon, Eden, monocotyledon, Sweden
Definition of dicotyledon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan