1Of or typical of a ruler with total power: a dictatorial regime
More example sentences
- Such violent protests might have been tolerated in the past because there were no other channels for expressing opinions during the dictatorial regimes.
- Mike explains why resistance was so difficult under the rigid, dictatorial regime which still called itself socialist.
- They rejected a proposal that would have augmented the powers of the already dictatorial presidency.
1.1Having or showing an autocratic manner: his mother-in-law was somewhat dictatorial
More example sentences
- Still, it is clear she disapproves of his conceited manner and dictatorial inclinations.
- He will be autocratic and dictatorial, and things will only happen his way or not at all.
- But typically the dictatorial F1 supremo doesn't see this setback as remotely his Waterloo!
tyrannical, domineering, despotic, oppressive, draconian, iron-handed, iron-fisted, imperious, lordly, magisterial, officious, overweening, overbearing, bossy, repressive, peremptory, high-handed, authoritarian, autocratic, dogmatic, high and mighty;
harsh, strict, severe, rigid, inflexible, unyielding
informal pushy, cocky
- Example sentences
- For a few years he ruled dictatorially, keeping the workers quiet with Germany's first social security laws.
- They lecture on about democracy, but they act dictatorially, and they do not tolerate any difference of opinion.
- A president may act dictatorially as did Lincoln, Wilson, and FDR - ideally under the sanction of law in a constitutional dictatorship - without temporary crisis arrangements becoming lasting peacetime institutions.
Words that rhyme with dictatorialaccessorial, accusatorial, advertorial, ambassadorial, arboreal, armorial, auditorial, authorial, boreal, censorial, combinatorial, consistorial, conspiratorial, corporeal, curatorial, directorial, editorial, equatorial, executorial, gladiatorial, gubernatorial, immemorial, imperatorial, janitorial, lavatorial, manorial, marmoreal, memorial, monitorial, natatorial, oratorial, oriel, pictorial, piscatorial, prefectorial, professorial, proprietorial, rectorial, reportorial, sartorial, scriptorial, sectorial, senatorial, territorial, tonsorial, tutorial, uxorial, vectorial, visitorial
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dic¦ta|tor¦ial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.