- A condition in which a tree or shrub begins to die from the tip of its leaves or roots backwards, owing to disease or an unfavourable environment: any sign of browning or other discoloration could be the onset of dieback aluminium causes the stress condition of crown dieback a survey of hedgerow trees found a correlation between ash dieback, acidity, and sulphurMore example sentences
- The tree seems to be experiencing dieback similar to fire blight.
- If a shrub develops dieback, prune out infected parts.
- The caterpillars of the gypsy moth are destructive defoliators that feed primarily on oak trees causing growth loss, crown dieback, and tree mortality.
More definitions of diebackDefinition of dieback in:
- The US English dictionary