Definition of diesel-electric in English:
Denoting or relating to a locomotive driven by the electric current produced by a diesel-engined generator.
- Union Pacific Railroad has ordered 315 diesel-electric locomotives designed to significantly decrease air emissions.
- By 1970 Jamaica's railways had fourteen diesel-electric locomotives and only one steam locomotive was still in operation.
- The company has acquired new rolling stock like Chinese diesel-electric locomotives and fuel tankers.
nounBack to top
A diesel-electric locomotive.
- Coal burning steam turbines, steam turbine electrics, and even gas turbines, all failed to oust diesel-electrics.
- The City of Truro will arrive under its own power, while locomotive 50033, Glorious a diesel-electric will arrive as a permanent exhibit at the museum.
- Stream engines don't handle inclines well, however, so the trip from Cairns to Kuranda takes twice as long as if the train were hauled by a modern diesel-electric.
Definition of diesel-electric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan