Definition of diesel-hydraulic in English:
Denoting or relating to a locomotive driven by a hydraulic transmission system powered by a diesel engine.
- As there are reasonably easy sections, the line was worked by ‘rack-and-adhesion’ locomotives, the principle of which was applicable to all three types but not to an experimental diesel-hydraulic locomotive seen on site in 1963.
- Small diesel-hydraulic units were tried by GMD but, they were unable to develop a market for them.
- Other customers put stationary diesel-hydraulic grabs in a port for unloading their own vessels.
nounBack to top
A diesel-hydraulic locomotive.
- Upon this, permission was given to order a small number of diesel-hydraulics as part of the pilot scheme.
- The first examples of the Western Region's main line diesel-hydraulics had appeared the previous year and Cornwall was planned to be one of the first areas of BR to banish steam altogether.
- When the end of diesel-hydraulics was announced, the ‘Westerns’ strangely were given an extended lease of life because the policy was to eliminate the less efficient MAN engined fleets first and then the ‘Warships’ followed by the ‘Hymeks’.
Definition of diesel-hydraulic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.