Definition of digenean in English:
Relating to a group of flukes which are internal parasites needing two to four hosts to complete their life cycle. Compare with monogenean.
- It will be a major source of information in digenean taxonomy for the next several decades.
- These results indicate that only seventeen out of the 150 or so digenean families are reported in the deep sea.
- The present study demonstrates that digenean parasites induce population structure changes and shorten lifespan of mudsnails, through increasing size-dependent mortality.
nounBack to top
A digenean fluke; a trematode.
- Subclass Digenea, class Trematoda
- This project is also linked with heavy metal toxicity studies, being carried out in our laboratory on the survival and infectivity of larval digeneans parasitising molluscan intermediate hosts.
- In Chile, there are no records of these digeneans in any group of hosts.
- Occasionally the eggs of some digeneans may also bear filaments, although these are more generally oval in shape, and brown in colour due to quinone-tanning of egg shell components.
1960s: from modern Latin Digenea (from Greek di- 'twice' + genea 'generation, race') + -an.
Definition of digenean in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.