Definition of digestion in English:
1The process of digesting food.
- Different regions of the digestive tract are concerned with storage, secretion, the processes of food digestion, absorption, and the elimination of waste products.
- In addition, they typically assess everyday body processes, such as appetite, digestion, defecation, urination, and sleep.
- You need water for all bodily processes, including digestion, waste excretion, circulation and even breathing.
1.1 [count noun] A person’s capacity to digest food: he suffered with his digestion
More example sentences
- Our digestions coped admirably and thus you will have no tales concerning toilets, bushes, and Delhi Belly.
- Note that sensitive digestions tolerate cooked onions better than raw ones.
- This man, perhaps, may have an easy conscience and a good digestion.
1.2 Chemistry The process of treating a substance with heat, enzymes, or a solvent to promote decomposition or extract essential components.
- Elements that had been located within the protoplasts (intracellular fraction) were solubilized by digestion with concentrated nitric acid.
- This assay does not require enzyme digestion or electrophoretic separation of DNA fragments.
- Dried leaf discs were analysed for organic N and Ca after digestion in sulphuric acid and subsequent dilution.