Definition of dilatation in English:
noun[mass noun] chiefly Medicine & Physiology
1The action of dilating a vessel or opening or the process of becoming dilated.
- Interventional paediatric cardiology mainly involves dilatation of stenotic vessels or valves and occlusion of abnormal communications.
- Between 14 and 19 weeks of pregnancy, a process known as surgical dilatation and evacuation (often referred to as D & E) may be used.
- The overall rate of oesophageal perforation after flexible endoscopy involving oesophageal instrumentation, biopsy, or dilatation is 2.6%.
1.1 [count noun] A dilated part of a hollow organ or vessel.
- The best known and most extensively studied baroreceptors are those in the carotid sinuses, dilatations of the carotid arteries in the neck.
- The saccular or cystic form is the most severe type and is characterized by a ballooning of the bronchi with fluid-filled, sac-like dilatations.
Definition of dilatation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan