- Having or showing care and conscientiousness in one’s work or duties: after diligent searching, he found a parcelMore example sentences
industrious, hard-working, assiduous; conscientious, particular, punctilious, meticulous, painstaking, rigorous, exacting, careful, thorough, sedulous, attentive, heedful, intent, earnest, studious; constant, persevering, persistent, tenacious, pertinacious, zealous, dedicated, committed, driven, active, busy; unflagging, untiring, tireless, indefatigable, dogged, plodding, slogging• archaic laborious
- With careful planning and diligent payments, even the worst rating can achieve absolution.
- Examinations are an important part of the education system and must be done in a diligent and thorough manner.
- This not only lets buyers see what has been done to the car and when, but it will also reassure them that you have been a diligent, careful owner.
- More example sentences
- A climber may work diligently and focus intensely for hours on end trying to reach the summit.
- How could they do their job conscientiously and diligently if they thought otherwise?
- He diligently came to every student-run event and listened earnestly to our concerns.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin diligens, diligent- 'assiduous', from diligere 'love, take delight in'.