- A large fossil carnivorous mammal-like reptile of the Permian period, with long spines on its back supporting a sail-like crest.
More example sentences
- Genus Dimetrodon, order Pelycosauria, subclass Synapsida
- What about the 30-inch dragonflies, six inch cockroaches, and the dimetrodons of the Permian period?
- I was inhaling ancient molecular effluvia of dimetrodons and plesiosaurs, pterodactyls and tyrannosauruses.
- But the iguanas in dinosaur costumes, super-sized dimetrodons, superimposed supposed menaces, don't cut it.
modern Latin, from di- 'twice' + Greek metron 'measure' + odous, odont- 'tooth' (taken in the sense 'two long teeth').
More definitions of dimetrodonDefinition of dimetrodon in:
- The US English dictionary