Definition of dinar in English:
1The basic monetary unit of Serbia, equal to 100 paras.
- While defence and foreign affairs are run jointly, Serbia, with a population of 7.5 million, has remained with the dinar, while Montenegro, population 660,000, uses the euro.
- Perhaps the customs officers had finally accepted that our last little tribute of leva and Serbian dinars was all that they were likely to squeeze out of this particular lemon.
- Serbia and Montenegro may still be part of the same country, but they are drifting apart, and Montenegro's refusal to do business in dinars is step one in the divorce.
2The basic monetary unit of certain countries of the Middle East and North Africa, equal to 1000 fils in Jordan, Bahrain, and Iraq, 1000 dirhams in Libya, and 100 centimes in Algeria.
- Jordan earned 61 million dinars from phosphate exports in 1987.
- The north, he said, would continue with the dinar and south Sudan would adopt the new Sudan pound.
- If you go to Iraq they would pay us 30 dinars a day.