Definition of dine in English:
1Eat dinner: we dined at a restaurant (as noun dining) a dining area
More example sentences
- The effect of water is best if found in the north of the living, dining or study area but not in the bedroom.
- The living, dining and kitchen areas were more discrete, making observation less easy.
- There is plenty of space to dine in the breakfast area, from where there is access to a tiled conservatory.
1.1 (dine out) Eat dinner in a restaurant.
- We admit it: we still have yet to appreciate the pleasures of dining out at a hectic restaurant where getting a table involves a UN negotiator.
- How many times per week are you dining out at restaurants, getting take out, ordering in, etc?
- If you're dining out at your favorite restaurant, have the gift delivered with dessert.
1.2 (dine out on) Regularly entertain friends with (a humorous story or interesting fact).
- It was a kind of story you can dine out on for a long time, but at the time it was a bit worrying because I nearly missed my aeroplane over it.
- As well as making a living, football was about having stories to dine out on.
- I had a lot of friends come early April, and I will dine out on the story for years to come…
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan