Definition of diner in English:
1A person who is eating, typically a customer in a restaurant.
- Brave restaurant workers and a diner disarmed a customer who pulled out a gun in a dispute over an unpaid bill.
- He is a frequent diner at Italian restaurants in Portman, Grand Hyatt and St Regis.
- Amid the chatter of diners in Lakeland's restaurants and hotels, observant customers may have noticed the prevalence of Eastern European accents ringing out among the staff.
2A dining car on a train.
- We boarded and the diner had closed for the evening and the club car was only opened until midnight.
- They took the first class passengers to the diner for their meal since the train would be late.
- Perhaps one of happiest diversions while traveling by train is a trip to the diner.
2.1North American A small roadside restaurant with a long counter and booths.
- They walked around for about an hour before settling into a booth at the diner for coffee and chat.
- And all-you-can-eat buffets are as common as roadside diners once were.
- There's nothing better than eating at small, greasy roadside diners and sleeping in fleabag motels to let you know you are still alive.