Definition of dint in English:
- The hat, I think the style was called fedora, had a dark band and a dint in the top, which my father would sometimes correct with a chopping action of his right hand.
- Remove dints and scratches and chips from cars; detail your car inside and out and respray the car, for $1000.
- I'm not sure my massive century-old wardrobe can handle any more nicks and dints from ‘careful’ removalists.
- A goal between the teams and many opportunities fell to Carlow who failed to make any further dints in a very strong and tight Erins Own defence.
- It has been proved in recent years that if the police focus resources on certain areas which are notorious for high levels of criminal activity a big dint can be made in the number of offences committed.
- And we're talking a lot of meat: 20,000 animals a year before you make a dint on the population.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Around the walls dinted filing cabinets were cluttered haphazardly.
- She hit him as hard as she could but she could tell she hadn't even dinted his muscles of steal.
- Its windows were broken and boarded up, the large steel doors dinted and nearly hanging from their hinges, and the walls were covered in a mix of grime, offensive graffiti, and a number of other things they couldn't even identify.
The phrase by dint of ‘by means of’ has violent origins. A dint was originally a stroke or blow with a weapon, and by dint of meant ‘by force of’, as in by dint of sword, an obsolete way of saying ‘by force of arms’.
by dint of
- By means of: he had got to where he was today by dint of sheer hard workMore example sentences
- Creative work is done not by dint of will power, by some kind of mental exertion; instead, and paradoxically, it comes with the least effort, out of the blue.
- She reaches this position by dint of sheer competence.
- But one day by dint of sheer chance and perverse good luck Vernon happened to be struck by a rather smashing train of thought.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.