Definition of dioecious in English:
(Of a plant or invertebrate animal) having the male and female reproductive organs in separate individuals. Compare with monoecious.
- Lloyd and Webb suggested that if females of dioecious species allocated a greater proportion of their available energy to reproduction than males, then females should be slower growing and have lower survival rates.
- Consider a population of dioecious species, in which males mate randomly with females.
- We compared the phyllotaxy and characteristics of the vascular system for two of the dioecious species (subgenus Acnida).
- Example sentences
- In addition, the general term ‘population structure’ encompasses dioecy, ploidy level, age structure, reproductive patterns such as partial selfing, as well as the various forms of geographical structure and dispersal.
- S. latifolia has recently become a popular model to study dioecy and evolution of plant sex chromosomes.
- Sagittaria is one such taxon enabling studies of the evolution of dioecy from monoecy.
Definition of dioecious in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.