Definition of dioecious in English:
(Of a plant or invertebrate animal) having the male and female reproductive organs in separate individuals. Compare with monoecious.
- Lloyd and Webb suggested that if females of dioecious species allocated a greater proportion of their available energy to reproduction than males, then females should be slower growing and have lower survival rates.
- Consider a population of dioecious species, in which males mate randomly with females.
- We compared the phyllotaxy and characteristics of the vascular system for two of the dioecious species (subgenus Acnida).
- Example sentences
- In addition, the general term ‘population structure’ encompasses dioecy, ploidy level, age structure, reproductive patterns such as partial selfing, as well as the various forms of geographical structure and dispersal.
- S. latifolia has recently become a popular model to study dioecy and evolution of plant sex chromosomes.
- Sagittaria is one such taxon enabling studies of the evolution of dioecy from monoecy.
Definition of dioecious in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan