- A mineral occurring as white to pale green crystals in metamorphic and basic igneous rocks. It consists of a calcium and magnesium silicate of the pyroxene group, often also containing iron and chromium.More example sentences
- Some of the characteristic minerals found in kimberlite are olivine, pyrope garnet, enstatite, diopside, ilmenite, phlogopite, perovskite, magnetite, and spinel.
- They have a mineralogical association of quartz, diopside, actinolite, plagioclase and K-feldspar.
- The main minerals identified were mainly calcite also some diopside, wollastonite, iron oxides and a few scattered dolomite crystals.
early 19th century: from French, formed irregularly from di-3 'through' + Greek opsis 'aspect', later interpreted as derived from Greek diopsis 'a view through'.
More definitions of diopsideDefinition of diopside in:
- The US English dictionary