chiefly North American
- A small fishing net with a long handle.More example sentences
- For the few shillings which they cost these little nets make a great dip net for sandeels and if they rust out after a few months you can afford to bin them and take a new one.
- For the measurements, fish were carefully netted with a dip net, anesthetized with 2-phenoxyethanol, and measured to the nearest 0.1 mm in FL with a digital caliper.
- For these samples, we illuminated the water surface after dark for 30 to 60 minutes with a battery-powered 50-watt light bulb and collected larval and juvenile fishes attracted by the light with a dip net.
verbBack to top
- (dip-net) [with object] Catch (fish) using a dip net.More example sentences
- The male was dip-netted and put into a small, water-filled glass box that was placed in fixed position in a large dark-box with a lock that excluded outer light.
- We saw a number of bears that trip, one skidding down the river bank on his rump to try for sockeye which we'd seen fishermen dip-netting and gaffing above the narrow chasms at Moricetown.
- Along the shoreline not far off, people dip-netted for hooligan, an oily spring fish.
More definitions of dip netDefinition of dip net in:
- The US English dictionary