- 1The profession, activity, or skill of managing international relations, typically by a country’s representatives abroad: an extensive round of diplomacy in the Middle EastMore example sentences
- Mr Chairman, Zambia has invested a lot in diplomacy and international relations.
- Summit diplomacy has become a very important component of international diplomacy.
- Bad mouthing the Germans in mid-bid probably wasn't the smartest piece of international diplomacy.
- 1.1The art of dealing with people in a sensitive and tactful way: with perfect diplomacy, he divided his attention between Meryl and AntheaMore example sentences
- It would certainly require an incredible level of diplomacy and sensitivity.
- Trying to make staff regulations for a team like that was a task requiring diplomacy and sensitivity.
- Tactful diplomacy is, ultimately, the only sensible way to resolve this dispute.
late 18th century: from French diplomatie, from diplomatique 'diplomatic', on the pattern of aristocratie 'aristocracy'.