- 1An official representing a country abroad.More example sentences
- Government leaders, senior officials and diplomats attended the ceremony.
- The news will come as a blow in London where senior officials and diplomats believed a new resolution was possible by last week.
- The officials and diplomats spoke anonymously because of the delicacy of the negotiations on what tack to take on Iran.
- 1.1A person who can deal with others in a sensitive and tactful way.
early 19th century: from French diplomate, back-formation from diplomatique 'diplomatic', from Latin diploma (see diploma).