Definition of diplontic in English:
(Of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form, except for the gametes, is diploid. Compare with haplontic and diplohaplontic.
- Most brown algae undergo an alternation of generations life cycle, as does Ulva, but species such as Fucus reproduce via a diplontic life cycle, meaning the adult is the sporophyte and diploid.
- The diplontic life cycle is not seen in algae or plants.
- Unfortunately, current knowledge on architecture and programming of shoot meristem was not used in this explanation to support genetic results against diplontic selection.
- Example sentences
- When as in Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia no sexual cycle exists, whether they are diplonts or haplonts is obviously irrelevant.
- In most diplonts, mitosis occurs only in the diploid phase, i.e. gametes usually form quickly and fuse to produce diploid zygotes.
- Therefore, with no further diplont or haplont selection, a certain number of seeds homozygous for the mutation will be formed in the inflorescence (1: 3 ratio, theoretically), and the mutant variation may be observed in all M2-families (the progeny of the same M1-plant).
Definition of diplontic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.