Definition of diplontic in English:
(Of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form, except for the gametes, is diploid. Compare with haplontic and diplohaplontic.
- Most brown algae undergo an alternation of generations life cycle, as does Ulva, but species such as Fucus reproduce via a diplontic life cycle, meaning the adult is the sporophyte and diploid.
- The diplontic life cycle is not seen in algae or plants.
- Unfortunately, current knowledge on architecture and programming of shoot meristem was not used in this explanation to support genetic results against diplontic selection.
- Example sentences
- When as in Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia no sexual cycle exists, whether they are diplonts or haplonts is obviously irrelevant.
- In most diplonts, mitosis occurs only in the diploid phase, i.e. gametes usually form quickly and fuse to produce diploid zygotes.
- Therefore, with no further diplont or haplont selection, a certain number of seeds homozygous for the mutation will be formed in the inflorescence (1: 3 ratio, theoretically), and the mutant variation may be observed in all M2-families (the progeny of the same M1-plant).
Definition of diplontic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan