nounPhysics & Chemistry
- The mathematical product of the separation of the ends of a dipole and the magnitude of the charges.More example sentences
- The prospects for those physicists hoping to detect proton decay or measure the electric dipole moment of the neutron or the electron lie somewhere in between these two extremes, but the potential pay-off in scientific terms is enormous.
- An optical lattice is able to trap an atom because the electric fields of the lasers induce an electric dipole moment in the atom.
- However, each angular momentum quantum state has a magnetic dipole moment associated with it, so the effect of a magnetic field is to separate the three states into three different energy levels.
More definitions of dipole momentDefinition of dipole moment in:
- The US English dictionary