1A short-tailed songbird related to the wrens, frequenting fast-flowing streams and able to swim, dive, and walk under water to feed.
- Family Cinclidae and genus Cinclus: five species, in particular the white-throated Eurasian C. cinclus.
- Swallows were chasing insects over the water and I watched dippers and grey wagtails feeding their young.
- In fall and winter, look for bald eagles, American dippers, mergansers, red-shafted Northern flickers, red-tailed hawks, and Townsend's solitaires.
- The dipper takes prey from the water's surface while swimming, and will even use its wings to ‘fly’ under water.
3A person who dips something in liquid.
- No farmer should employ dippers unless they hold an appropriate licence.
Words that rhyme with dipperAgrippa, chipper, clipper, equipper, flipper, gripper, hipper, kipper, nipper, Pippa, ripper, shipper, sipper, skipper, slipper, stripper, tipper, tripper, whipper, zipper
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dip¦per
Definition of dipper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.