1A graduated rod for measuring the depth of a liquid, especially oil in a vehicle’s engine.
- The good news for consumers is there's no need to look under the hood anyway, as the dipstick and filler openings for the windshield washer fluid and engine oil are hidden in a service module behind the faux grille on the front of the car.
- On some equipment, a visual sight glass or gauge shows fluid levels without opening the system, while on others a dipstick or other manual measuring device is used.
- The fast-fit specialist carried out vehicle inspections at three of its recent fleet safety days and found that almost 25% of cars checked needed at least one litre of oil while one engine had no trace of oil on the dipstick.
2 informal A stupid or inept person.
- Dive buddies are so useful, but one thing they don't warn you about in the training manual is having your personal belongings raided by the dipstick who forgot to bring her suitcase.
- The boys were all acting like dipsticks as usual, as it would be a very LONG time before they reached emotional maturity.
- Why should we queue up with this bunch of dipsticks?
Words that rhyme with dipsticklipstick
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dip|stick
Definition of dipstick in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.