An insect of the large order Diptera; a fly.
- In contrast to the long and heavy wings of many Lepidoptera, relative wing size is much lower in dipterans and hymenopterans, and presumably in other insect taxa characterized by high wingbeat frequencies.
- However, only one non-Drosophila Adh gene has been sequenced so far, that of the flesh fly Sarcophaga peregrina, a higher dipteran quite divergent from Drosophila.
- The similarity is higher between the dipteran species than between the dipteran species and the lepidopteran B. mori.
Relating to or denoting dipterans.
- The results indicated at least one LW gene duplication event before the diversification of mantodean, orthopteran, dipteran, hymenopteran, and lepidopteran orders.
- The minimum time estimate for this is before the radiation of lepidopteran, dipteran, hymenopteran, orthopteran, and mantodean orders.
Words that rhyme with dipteranhemipteran
Definition of dipteran in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.