- An insect of the large order Diptera; a fly.More example sentences
- In contrast to the long and heavy wings of many Lepidoptera, relative wing size is much lower in dipterans and hymenopterans, and presumably in other insect taxa characterized by high wingbeat frequencies.
- However, only one non-Drosophila Adh gene has been sequenced so far, that of the flesh fly Sarcophaga peregrina, a higher dipteran quite divergent from Drosophila.
- The similarity is higher between the dipteran species than between the dipteran species and the lepidopteran B. mori.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting dipterans.More example sentences
- The results indicated at least one LW gene duplication event before the diversification of mantodean, orthopteran, dipteran, hymenopteran, and lepidopteran orders.
- The minimum time estimate for this is before the radiation of lepidopteran, dipteran, hymenopteran, orthopteran, and mantodean orders.
More definitions of dipteranDefinition of dipteran in:
- The US English dictionary